LONDON, NEW YORK, PARIS, BERLIN — December 3, 2012 — While Coca-Cola, Chevrolet, P&G, Nike and Volkswagen all feature prominently in the 2012 Unruly Global Viral Video Ads Chart — the annual ranking of the year’s most shared video ads, released today by Unruly — it is a little-known non-profit that is the year’s overall winner.
Kony 2012, created and released by the not-for-profit Invisible Children, was by far the most shared ad of 2012, generating 10.1 million shares since it launched on March 5.
The incredible success of this 30-minute video demonstrates how a relatively unknown entity can make a global impact in social media with powerful content and a comprehensive distribution strategy.
The social video rankings are derived from the Unruly Viral Video Chart , since 2006 the definitive source of video sharing behavior across the social web (Twitter, Facebook, blogs). Since Unruly measures shares rather than views it is a truer metric of an ad’s “virality” and the strength of the emotion it triggers in viewers.
Other brands in the top 20 include TNT, A&F, Volkswagen and GoPro. Only three brands appear in both the 2011 and 2012 rankings: Volkswagen, Red Bull and DC Shoes.
Overall, the number of video shares of branded content increased in 2012. The top 500 ads of the year attracted a total of 113 million shares in 2012, a 21% increase over 2011 (93.34M).
Shares of the top 10 ads rose from 16.8 million in 2011 to 28.0 million in 2012 - an increase of 67% and a clear sign that media consumption habits are continuing to evolve rapidly.
“Emotive content and bottom-up sharing stole the show this year,” remarked Unruly Co-Founder and COO Sarah Wood . “The world’s biggest brands can learn from Invisible Children: it’s not about a 30-second commercial anymore when a 30-minute video gets 10 million global shares.”
The full rankings* are as follows:
1. Invisible Children: Kony 2012 - 10,068,928 shares
1. Volkswagen: The Force - 4,713,179 shares
2. TNT: A Dramatic Surprise On A Quiet Square – 4,352,283 shares
2. DC Shoes: Ken Block's Gymkhana Four; The Hollywood Megamercial - 2,028,238 shares
3. Abercrombie & Fitch: Call Me Maybe - 2,435,774 shares
3. T-Mobile: Angry Birds Live - 1,783,607 shares
4. DC Shoes: Gymkhana 5 – 2,292,354 shares
4. T-Mobile: Royal Wedding - 1,733,419 shares
5. P&G: Best Job - 2,227,528 shares
5. Kia: Party Rock Anthem-Kia Soul Hamster Commercial - 1,424,110 shares
6. Dancesport Studio: Two-Year-Old Dancing The Jive – 2,094,766 shares
6. 20th Century Fox: Ape With AK-47 - 1,132,201 shares
7. Melbourne Metro: Dumb Ways To Die - 1,217,751 shares
7. David Cornfield Melanoma Fund: Dear 16-Year-Old Med - 1,072,004 shares
8. Chevrolet: OK Go, Needing/ Getting - 1,140,769 shares
8. Activision: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reveal Trailer - 1,062,829 shares
9. Volkswagen: The Bark Side - 1,127,479 shares
9. Nissan: Poneis Malditos - 956,661 shares
10. PBS Studios: Mister Rogers Remixed, Garden Of You Mind - 1,045,039 shares
10. Nestle: Contrex - Ma Contrexperience -97s - 950,988 shares
11. Google: One Day, Project Glass – 1,025,854 shares
11. Activision: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - The Vet Vs The Noob - 922,218 shares
12. Go Pro: Black Edition, Smaller, Lighter and 2X More Powerful - 989,904 shares
12. Carlsberg: Stunt with Bikers in Cinema - 899,550 shares
13. Coke: Unlock The 007 In You. You Have 70 Seconds – 933,601 shares
13. Ojai Valley Taxidermy: Chuck Testa - 830,036 shares
14. Nike: Mercurial Vapor VIII: Cristiano Ronaldo vs Rafa Nadal – 921,039
14. Red Bull: The Art of FLIGHT - Snowboarding film trailer featuring Travis Rice - 810,453 shares
15. Nike: My Time Is Now - 902,609 shares
15. McDonald’s Philippines New Commercial 2011 "BFGF" - 756,141 shares
16. Sesame Street Workshop: Share It Maybe – 863,969 shares
16. Channel 4: Danny MacAskill - Industrial Revolutions - 696,190 shares
17. Red Bull: Athlete Machine (Red Bull Kluge) - 804,418 shares
17. Trace Urban: The most amazing beat box video ever! - 687,528 shares
18. Banco Som Sabadell: Som Sabadell FlashMob - 794,749 shares
18. Pepsi: Unbelievable David Beckham - 543,812 shares
19. Air New Zealand and WETA: An Unexpected Briefing - 753,200 shares
19. Samsung: Unleash Your Fingers - 542,851 shares
20. Febelfin: Amazing Mind Reader Reveals His ‘Gift’ – 695,896 shares
20. Westfield Stratford City: 100 YEARS / STYLE / EAST LONDON - 529,832 shares
* Charts based on data collected up to November 21, 2012 and November 21, 2011 respectively
(NOTE to Editors: Rankings do not include movie trailers or TV promos.)